YMCA Youth Sports are volunteer led and that makes all the difference. When parents, family members and people of the community invest their time and knowledge in young people, the value of teamwork isn’t just an abstract idea. It’s demonstrated in every practice and in every game.
We believe that a Youth Sports program is only as strong as its coaches and that is why we want you to have all the tools you need for your season. Below you will find manuals that include multiple practice plans including drills, team circles, and fitness components.
Requirements for all YMCA Volunteer Coaches
All volunteer applicants applying for YMCA of Austin volunteer positions must fill out the below application and background check authorization form.
- Fill Out Volunteer Interest Form and Volunteer Application
- Complete Background Check Authorization Form
- Complete Coaching YMCA Youth Sports
Interested in becoming a volunteer coach for one of our youth sports leagues? Fill in the interest form below!
YMCA Youth Sports Coach Code of Conduct
YMCA Sports are dependent upon volunteers to act as role models within their coaching position. It is your duty as a YMCA Coach to uphold YMCA character values in your interactions with families, players, fellow coaches, school staff and others. As a YMCA Coach, in order to protect both yourself and the YMCA you must agree to the following:
Youth Sports Rules
Youth Flag Football
- Flag Football 4-5 Rules
- Flag Football 6-7 Rules
- Flag Football 8-10 Rules
Youth Baseball & T-Ball
Soccer Sample Curriculum & Tips for Coaches
Basketball Sample Curriculum & Tips for Coaches
Inclement Weather Guidelines
Below are the inclement weather guidelines for YMCA of Austin youth soccer. These are relevant for games and practices.
- If any outdoor field has standing water, then games will be canceled.
- YMCA game and practice lead staff will use the Weather Bug app to monitor inclement weather, including lightning in the area. In the event of a lightning/thunderstorm, procedures have been established for all outdoor youth sports and recreational activities to ensure the utmost safety for all of our participants. At the first sound of thunder, participants will be cleared from the playing field to a shelter or to their cars. The game will be suspended for thirty (30) minutes from the last sound of thunder before resuming play. Site supervisors and referees will notify all participants when it is safe to resume play or if the games have been canceled for the day due to the weather.
- Heat weather guidelines must be followed. Coaches should enforce this policy during practices and games.
Parent Notifications for Canceled Games:
- If games start the second half before being canceled, then the game’s result will stand as determined by the score at the time of cancellation. If the game is canceled during the first half, then the game will be made up, if possible.
- If games are canceled, a Playerspace notification will be sent out via email and text, to the contact information provided at registration, two hours prior (if possible). Coaches are also encouraged to notify their teams.
“Being a youth sports coach for my daughter’s soccer team was more fun than I expected. I got connected to other parents and helped kids on the team develop a love for the game.”
– Michael S.